Creating this Water Text in Photoshop CS6 Extended was super easy and I really enjoyed it.
After following the fire and cloud tutorials, I was itching to see what I could come up with on my own. Figured I’d keep on this natural element concept and Water was the first trial. The first step was to get a mental picture. The ultimate goal was to make it look smooth but also like it’s in motion.
To achieve that effect I did the following:
- Blue and white linear gradients to make a smooth background.
- Add a light transparent layer of texture to the darkest area of the blue water (bottom) and then blend with a soft eraser.
- Add text.
- Create a duplicate layer of text. Rotate. Flip the layer (horizontally) to make the reflection.
- Add separate layers of satin and water textures to the primary text.
- Add an artistic filter to distort (pull) the reflection text to give the appearance of movement.
- Lastly to give it a little pop, add a soft glow to give the illusion that light is coming from behind. (After all, there is no reflection without light!)
Voila! I love it.
Designs can always be better, but everyone’s gotta start somewhere!